Friday, August 8, 2008

Mountainview 9 Hour warmup

It was a beat the crap out of myself night. Heather has me really working on my upper end heartrate. It's been a bit off since after Solstice. Well if I'm going to ride the vomit comet I might as well make it fun.

It was off to Mountainview for the weekly race series. There were two benefits to this. 1: Lets see if we can make Matt puke as he hammers full out. It didn't happen! 2: Get some miles in on the 9 hour course. This did happen.

Spent 1.5 hours cruising the course. It is definitely the best course Thomas has come up with yet. It's 6.5 km long but has over 1000 feet of climbing per lap. Of course that also means over 1000 feet of descending. Lots of smiling on the descents.


One of many speed bumps in the course. Yep big speed bump. Buckwallow will be a great warm up.



Some of the amazing singletrack.

Going down. It's a deceiving picture. Let's just say fast and physically demanding. Heartrate is almost as high going down as it is going up.

Race time. I forgot what it felt like to hammer full out for an hour. Finished mid pack, now I will say that our pack is extremely fast. We have some of the best racers in Ontario calling Mountainview their home.

The 9 hour is going to be tough. It's very physically demanding but more so mentally. There are no real sections that you rest your brain. With the increase in technical added to the last two 8 hours I think Thomas has stepped it up once again.

I'm going to be trying a new race plan at the 9 hour. My stubbornness is down and I'm going to shut up and listen to my coach. I think this is an event that I will be able to keep myself focused on the plan and not get caught up in the excitement. No attacking in the wrong places.

For all those not sure yet. Sign up for Mountainview. Just do it.

Later

No comments: