Thursday, May 14, 2009

clear your mind and the bike will follow

The last couple days have been a little bit draining for me. Not physically but mentally. Most know I run a small service company. The recession is not affecting us in any way. Actually we are to busy and that is part of the problem. Anyways, I basically cracked and needed a mental health day away from everything.

So what do you do to get away from everything? Well I grabbed the road bike, 3 water bottles, ipod, extra INFINIT powder and headed. UMMM where am I heading, I don't really care. Adventure time.

Headed south down Upper Big Chute road, came to the fork in the road and went left. I've never been to the left. It was great turning left because the wind was crazy, more on that in about two hours of riding, just wait. I kinda had an idea of which way I was going but I just kept going straight till I was forced to turn to stay on pavement. This put me on some great long side roads with no traffic. No turns equals no thinking.

Miles of nothing. Well except for wind. Where the hell did this wind come from? I just kept spinning away, clearing my mind, laughing my ass off to the late great George Carlin comedy special.

This was my kinda sorta final destination. What it is. It's a lake, that's about all I cared. I was close to Washago. This was about the 2 hour mark by the time I passed the lake, went over the bridge, made a short loop trying to figure out where I could go from there. I ended up riding about a km section of a highway I should not have been on scaring the shit out of myself. I was glad I had the wind to my back. All this to find another over pass to get back on the right side of the highway.


Started into the return trip having this wonderful wind to my back. Yes, now the wind story. On the way out I was stuck in my 39 and running mid to lower cassette gears just dealing with things. The return trip saw me playing in my big ring. AND THEN SOME. Do you know how much fun it is running 53-14 and 52-12 for an hour. Yes, it was almost an hour. Awww olympic tailwind.

I was smiling, who wouldn't be at 50km/h while still in low zone 2. Long straight rolling hills are amazing. The route I took was amazing, little traffic, good pavement, I think a grand total of 8 turns and 4 stop signs in 3 hours.

Tonight I heading over to Mountainview for the weekly race series. I kept to my training plan and raced a shorter loop keeping in tempo pace the whole time. First lap I just road, second lap was working on staying seated the whole time. Trying to be as efficient as possible. Oh, did I mention that it was fun!! I like fun.

As for my brain and stress level. It's amazing how the bike just eliminates the day to day thoughts. Why do I ride a bike? It helps me get through the rest of my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

open road and a clear mind. that is sooo the truth thanks for reminding us all.