Sunday, May 3, 2009

dirt and pavement round 2

Started out the morning sucking back vasts amounts of coffee and trying to organize the day. First on the list was the Mountainview Cycling Club trail maintenance day. The weekly series starts this Thursday so there was a push to get all the trails ready to rip.




just walking the single track reminded how much climbing there is in such a small area. A few of the guys had already put in some major hours cutting up fallen trees. It was a hard winter on the trails. Come on up for the weekly series since this is the only time that none club members are allowed to ride at Mountainview. Unfortunately the MAN (insurance company) has the club putting up signs for this year. Only club members allowed now, of course club membership is cheap, I think it's $30. Join us, you know you want to, just do it, cave, show a moment of weakness!!!


Once I pushed my slow healing right shoulder to it's limit with the rake it was back home to spend some time on the road bike. Headed out to the Big Chute but in the reverse direction today. This way puts lots of short steep climbs in the first half of the ride.


I sometimes get people asking me why I live where I live. Because of this.

People come to my area for the escape from the city, they drive 2 plus hours to get here, this was an hour from my house by bike.


Train delay. Didn't feel like doing the Stand By Me train dodge. Had two chances. I think he would have swerved had we played chicken.


The whole ride was feeling amazing until the got out to the farm field sections of Upper Big Chute road. Talk about a relentless wind. The chain left the big ring pretty quickly. Made my way into Coldwater and enjoyed to break from the wind with a quick stop at the bridge. This says it all.


One of those small reminders of what can be accomplished by mind, spirit and body. It also reminds me that a 24 hour race is pretty much a walk in the park compared to what people like Rick Hansen and Terry Fox did. Just arms or just one legs. Makes you think doesn't it.

Anyways, rolled back home feeling good, having a smile on my face. It was funny that this song actually came on my Ipod just after I saw that sign.

More tomorrow

Later

2 comments:

the original big ring said...

time for a new camera Matt - those first two photos remind me of this:

http://www.mantripping.com/images/stories/big-foot-tours.jpg

Matt Spak said...

It's that flip video camer thing. It's not to bad for certain photos but if I drop it while riding I'm not to worried.