Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Even warmer

Mother Nature is bi polar. How can it go from barely above the freezing mark to 80 degrees in 2 days. Hey I'm not complaining, it's nice not having to wear my knee warmers every ride. I still wear a toque after rides, ya I know, I'm weird.

Speaking of riding, headed out with no real thought on where I wanted to go. I did have a destination though, my weekly tuneup had been bumped to Wednesday because of the long weekend so instead of wasting valuable warmth, daylight etc I rode in.


We have an amazing rail trail that runs from almost the end of my front yard, about 150 feet, to the edge of Midland. No highway traffic, equals a much safer, calmer ride. It's only about 25 km from my place to Total Body.

After a quick tune up, the cracks and pops my body puts out sometimes scare me. The fact that my neck makes those noises without the thought of some crazy commando going nuts and snapping necks of some innocent victim. Rambo?? Be nice.

Got back on the bike and headed west towards Balm Beach. I wanted to get some time on some long flats to do some tempo riding. I also figured out my route. My legs were still a little heavy so the long flats were great to help flush them out.

Stayed at this for about 40 minutes including the turn left on to county road 27. This is where I wanted to do the best part of this ride.

I started to head for the hills, which included Vasey Line. These are long steady grinds, for Ontario standards at least. The first is about just under a kilometer at 6 percent.

Followed by another.

And another, and another etc etc etc. Great long grinds keeping the pace aerobic. I have to admit that I really do like climbing. Not that it's my favourite thing though, it's that what goes up gets to go down. A friend made a comment to me a few years back, I think it was the first year I started to ride. "Coasting is his favorite part of cycling" In most cases I really do agree. I love coasting at 80 plus km/h. I love long single track descents like what we had last weekend. I love that reward for all the hours we spend battling uphill's both ways into the wind. It's so simple, what goes up gets to come down.

Ended up just under 3 hours tonight, Legs are feeling pretty good right now, I can still feel a little bit of drag in them from last weekend. I'll back things down a hair tomorrow and taking Friday off the bike. Even though the 8 hour is only a training ride I still want to motor. Apparently I will have a small cult following me.

Results are now up from last weekends race. A couple errors which I was already informed on. I am 5th, a rider who got lost in the over 40 division managed to sneak past all of us, it's being changed as I type this. It was a long course, to only have one go astray is pretty good.

substance project.com








No comments: