Sunday, April 5, 2009

where to start




An interesting weekend. Spent Saturday hanging out at the TREK Store. Yes, I know the competition. The weather was hell and there wasn't much else to do. I think we solved all the world economic problems, global warming and the prep work needed for our Hot August Nights team. I was nicely not voted but assigned to be the captain since Jeremy used some excuse of being at Trans Rockies.

The weather turned out amazing this morning. After the 60 km/h winds and snow yesterday I think anything would be an improvement. Am I disappointed that I didn’t head down to the Icebreaker? Nope, not in any way. Because it wasn’t even a B race for me and having done the event many times in the past I knew exactly what the course was going to look like. Sure the snow may have been gone but that rain would have left it’s mark.


Instead I put slicks on the Anthem and headed west. It was a scheduled 4:15 zone 1-2 ride. Aww, the last of the recovery week. I started out on the rail trail. One thing about a low intensity is the trying to stay warm thing. I was on the bike at 8am so it was still just above the freezing mark.

It turned into one of those lets go this way for a bit then that way type of rides. No set direction just keep the pace sane. About an hour and a half into my ride I was on the Midland waterfront trail when I met up with some friends from the triathlon club out for their Sunday run. Running, blah, there is no coasting in running. Of course I reminded this to them as they were huffing and puffing along. I got the response very similar to what I got from a certain single speeder when I asked him if he wanted gears yet as I lapped him.

My let’s go this way for a bit brought me to Camp Simpresca. Talk about flash backs to your youth. I only was there once as a kid but just the thought of summer camp.


Ok, maybe it was just the thought of summer as I sat on the dock eating a granola bar and enjoying the view.

Did my own short version of the icebreaker with some gravel roads taking the back way into Penetang before heading south to Midland again. This time I was heading for a destination that I almost wish I hadn't seen.


Stopped in at Mountainview. It is going to be a while before we ride any singletrack there.


This is just a short section that should be clear by now. After seeing that I went back to the pavement. Not much choice.

Speaking of singletrack and road etc, my coach and I have talked tonight. More so on scheduling for races and training. Paris to Ancaster is now out. It conflicts with what she wants me to do and I would rather put the miles in at the Marathon Series. I guess the cross bike is going to continue to stay clean.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

24 Hours of Summer Solstice
Albion Hills
Saturday, Jun, 21, 2008

Solo Men Under 40

Team: MISFIT ELITE TEAM
Place: 7
Laps: 16
Average: 1:27:33

Team: Georgian Cycle/Blue Bikes
Place: 14
Laps: 12
Average: 1:40:07

Peter Keiller said...

Well Anonymous (can I call you Matt's conscience?) you are correct but I fear the biggest misrepresentation of the singlespeeders reaction was the manner in which he (the singlespeeder) a mere hour later showed such COMPASSION and complete forgiveness for the slight when he coddled the broken SPAK and brought him to safety. Of course the gearless wonder went on to trounce the SPAK but that wasnt the topic...

Matt Spak said...

Yes Peter did beat me. It was far from my greatest day on the bike. When he found me at 2am ish I was in fact in fourth place. Unfortuantly my knees were done for that race.

Peter did show a lot of self control by not kicking me when I was down.

Dave Stowe said...

How are you going to do Paul's and Mohican?
Mohican is very interesting but stick with Paul's this year (I'm going to Paul's)

Mohican next year, single speed, no support, whaddya say??

Matt Spak said...

I'm not sure which one I am doing but I really am drawn to the Mohican. A fun way to end the season with a road trip.