Friday, January 8, 2010

bend me shape me

It was a night of yoga. An hour and a half of bending and twisting into positions I'm still not sure the body was ever meant to go. Not surprising though I felt better afterwards. Like any athlete I'm always just a little sore in some body part at any given time. Yoga has been a major control/cure to what ever is bothering me.

A few years ago I ran into some low back problems that did cause me major concern. Link to a long line of very short muscles. My sister sent me to the yoga world with the name of a really good dvd. I was hooked. Of course the first few weeks were really tough. The concept of touching my toes was dam near impossible. Seeing the advanced poses on the tv as I can barely move my body into what mildly looked like the pose I was attempting to do. Of course with time things got better and better. Low back problem went away, I can now do a standing forward bend and grab that beer that is sunken into the floor.

Like any other time of the year though I'm always a little achy. The shoulders are just coming around with all the skiing and of course the hip flexors are still a little made for last weekends ski. Hmmm wait till the body sees what I do to it this weekend.

I've done another mind set change on the Blue rebuild. Because every once in a while I can really seem to motor along that 34 tooth front may not be enough on a couple of the big straight aways. If I went to 36, which I've heard from a good source who sucks at updating his blog, is what Kabush was running last year. That will take care of top speed but then I thought about the start climb at Mountainview. For those that have done it this is one that you hear lots of clicks down into the granny gear. The 36 would kill me. So I've opted to go back to a 2x9 setup.

This makes life easier, a couple Race Face cranks hanging around. I don't really want to spend a huge amount of money on this bike since. I say that now. Rough guess on bike weight will be around the 23 pound mark. No the lightest and I have a couple components on the bike that I can drop huge weight with a change. The fork is heavy and it's only an 80 mm but it's been hanging on the wall. Anyone want to donate a 100 mm with lockout to the cause at a reasonable price? The others are minor in comparison but it all adds up. Right now it's the focus to get it built and bike fit for a trip to the bike park. Getting that craving.

Time for that Friday work thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're worrying about gearing at a bike park?

Matt Spak said...

No, but would rather take a hardtail or a bmx there instead of my Anthem. The pump track is always more fun on something that doesn't give under the legs.

The gearing concern is for climbing at a few of the ocups.