Thursday, January 14, 2010

Weekend prep

I'll admit that I'm getting a little excited for this weekend. First trip to Joyride 150 and just the thought of riding with actually forward movement is just the start of it. Not having to wear 10 layers of clothing to stay warm or spend an hour after the outdoor ride cleaning the dirty, snow and salt of the bike. Being able to stop for a few minutes and not freeze my nuts off. Notice how I went on more about outdoor riding than time on the trainer. Yep time on the trainer doesn't need much complaining about since we all know it sucks!!!

Well last night to get me even more warmed up for the trip I, guess what, jumped on the rollers for my hour and half workout. Had a bunch of spin ups and one legged thingys to do. No I don't plan on doing one legged intervals while riding on the pump track. What I did do was watch the best warm up movie.

I've come to the conclusion that Rad is the best bike movie of all time. The mix of racing, bad one liners and a bicycle boogie scene how can someone not get pulled in. How it never made it to the Oscars shocks me. Like every other movie I've watched on the rollers I can recite almost the whole movie. Yes, I know pitiful but what else is there to when you are stuck in suspended motion. This movie still brings me back to my early teens when it came out. I was still riding bmx at that point and I think I watched the intro and final freestyle scene so many times I stretched the vcr tape while trying to learn all the tricks.

Halfway through the ride I looked at my road bike who has been sitting very patiently on the vomit machine for the last month. I started to think about where I am at training time and that I happen to be in a recovery week. I glanced again and I have a strange feeling that I may be on that thing next week pushing well beyond my happy endurance/tempo zone. Those cruel wattage numbers seem to hurt a little more. Part of the reason for Saturday's adventure, it's play time before the tough work starts.

Later

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell Watson that his blog has reached a new low. Does he think we really want to read about his computer shopping experience on what used to be a blog about cycling?