Monday, January 11, 2010

If you do three separate sports are you now a triathlete? I hope not. Saturday was that hell froze over type cold in the morning. That made it hard to get Molly off the couch. The sun was out atleast making it look atleast a little tempting to be out there.

By late morning it was a balmy minus 13 so it was time. Layered up, this was both me and Molly. Me with 4 layers, Molly with her two jackets. We headed to Copeland with classic skis in hand. I wanted to be alittle more adventurous than normal so I parked a good distance away from the main parking lot. About 3 km. I strapped the skis on and basically turned left and kept going. I let the Molly Monster set the direction. Do you know how interesting it is to follow a hound type dog in deep snow. We eventually made our way to my normal start area and opted for a back country loop.

Nothing to exciting, just shuffling the feet in a forward motion and it was way to cold to take off gloves, search for a camera and take a picture so you will just have to imagine lots of snow, lots of trees, lots of cold. So cold that my water bottles froze. Just under 3 hours later we came back out to the road. Cool down on xc skiing equals walking. I'm not much of a walker but it does feel really good after a long ski.

Sunday was a tough start, my head was a little out of it. Self induced by the evening before and company. I was hydrating. The weather was a little more giving this morning, finally motivated myself and headed out on the single speed. I had a route in mind and it didn't take long for that route to ride me past this.

Of course me and water I was tempted to just sit there and enjoy the sounds and the view but I managed to get myself going. I headed for the snowmobile trails hoping that they would be in the right shape to ride. Lots of traffic left them a little softer than I would have liked and I was forced to the far edge of the trail, felt like I was riding on a tight rope and anytime I slipped of it I had to work 3 times as hard to go half the speed. Yep, I wouldn't be riding on here for long. I did get lots of waves and smiles from the sledders. Of course there is always one idiot that was about to try and yell at me. This is probably the same guy who thinks bikes are not supposed to be on the road either. Luckily his fat ass couldn't get of his sled.

A few more km and I was back on the road and heading towards my next attempt to ride something besides the roads. From a distance I was thinking it would be perfect. As I got closer and then eventually out on it I found out that the ice was bomb proof but the snow on top was also soft. The fresh snow a day or two ago was just a little to soft to get any momentum going with out blowing up. That was of course helped by the strong steady head wind. My thoughts of getting some ice miles was going out the window also.

About 1 km out on Georgian Bay.

I started to change my mind on my day of training. The body was a little mad at me still so I opted to take the longer way home but it was still not as long as I wanted to be out. There had to be something better to do. Rolled back to the house and did my best attempt of a triathlete transition as I swapped out the bike shoes for skate boots. Grabbed the skate skis of the rack and did the 2 minute walk from my place to Georgian Bay. I thought maybe the biking on the ice would suck but the skiing may be perfect .

Headed out, of course into the wind and found myself to be a little wrong in my thinking. Closer to home the wind had a big open section which caused lots of drifts equalling not a lot of glide. I should have gotten the idea really quickly when I saw kite boarders out there.

It was pretty cool watching these guys. I did start my own attempt at tacking into the wind and it did make things a little bare able but I knew I wouldn't be enjoying things to much.

Lots of random deep sections that felt like super glue on the ski. Of course things in motion (body) stay in motion but things that hit a solid (skis) do not and I had lots of close call bobbles which killed the thrill.

I managed to make myself stay out long enough to get my total hours of training in. The night before activities and the morning after reminder on why I only do that every once in a while. I proceeded to my couch for the rest of the afternoon.

More fun with the crew tonight.

No comments: