Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Spent the evening resting. The skiing did take a toll on the legs and I opted to try and turn myself into Gumby last night rather than venture out in the cold for the Monday Night Something. Of course the first day back to work didn't help. Trying to get the mind back in fix it mood instead of reno it or ride it.

I ventured into the basement afterwards to start looking at the bikes. A couple projects are about to be started with a little more anxious moods towards them. More so is getting the drivetrain back together on one of the Anthem's It's been sitting chainless and in need of a BB since I did that big final clean and tear apart in November. The other is the rebuild of the Blue, this is starting be my focus because one of those of many conversations was about Toronto's bike park. I think a 26 inch carbon hardtail would be awesome on the pump track. A trip is in the planning stage.

Right now I've run into a stall on the build up. I'm planning on running it as a 1x9 for this year with a 34 tooth front. Now the problem, I was hoping to use a 110mm 5 bolt external bb crank I just happen to have hanging around. I can't find a chain ring bash guard for it. I know they have made them before but my search has shut me down. Any suggestions? I have a few other minor things needed but nothing that a trip to the local crack (bike) house won't cure up. I need my fix man.

I figure that the more I look at my cross country, ride in dirt on twisty single track bikes and the hard I focus on warm weather mantra the sooner I'll be playing in the dirt again. Of course this has to happen when the bikes are ready. Not being able to ride trails because they are covered in snow is no where close to not being able to ride trails because the bike is in pieces.

Well Ontario is still in the deep freeze and I don't see it breaking anytime soon. Now I did hear that the snowmobile groomers have been going full force and that the tree line has been put out on the ice. Hmmm I may be looking for a long flat road to ride this weekend.

Coffee and work.

Coffee and work.

2 comments:

vanderbike said...

Well as far as the search goes for a bashguard with a bolt pattern of 5 you may find yourself SOL.

I know they are still avaliable, but as you know the new standard is 4. That and the old ones I have seen and ordered as of late are giant and oversized compared to their new counter parts. I suggest buying a new or used crank set? pink bike or another site may help in this search. The up side is that you won't struggle to find replacement, rings or another bashgaurd. Just a thought buddy.

A trip to joy ride sounds grrrreat

Dave Stowe said...

Chainguard ....

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=121652&cat=30&brand=216

Salsa RingDinger

Cheers, Dave