Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Not the best place to train

It was a scheduled bike time yesterday. That means intervals, woo hoo!! Actually time flies doing intervals, let me rephrase that, the interval seems to take forever but the recovery time seems like a short blur.

Did my normal prep of knee warmers, toque, sweatshirt and started to head into the sunroom. I think I was in there for about 14 seconds and turned back into the house. It's stinkin cold. My sunroom is not heated but usually is about plus 5 or warmer. Well usually if we get a little sun, of course the sun has been muted by walls of snow the last few days and deep freeze temperature. I'm not sure what temperature it needs to be for you to see your breath but I was seeing icicles on the exhale.

Well that leaves me with a problem, where to ride. I could have done things the easy way and brought things into the basement and setup on there. That was to far, I was being lazy and I had already brought the bike upstairs. Hmmm, as I'm standing in the kitchen where a lap top happens to be sitting. I think this is what influenced the decision, I like having some visual distraction when on the bike riding to nowhere and there is nothing like that in the basement. 2 minutes later I'm riding in the kitchen on that new floor. Lets just say I had an incentive to not ride off the rollers.

So at just over the hour mark I figured out what the problem is about riding in the kitchen. They are called cupboards, no I didn't fall into any of them. The problem is what is in them and I also found out how long a reach I have. My stomach growled a little bit and next thing I knew one of the doors open, then another as i scanned the contents. I was happy I should an ounce of self control and grabbed a granola bar not the bag of potato chips. Those were for later!!

Finished up the time on the bike, legs were feeling really good tonight and I'm seeing the power going up. I've yet to fire up the vomit machine (wattage trainer) but I know where and what intervals I'm doing now are just a ramp up for whats to come. Eyes crossed, body hunched over, tongue hanging out intervals will be coming soon, these speed workouts will be a cake walk when I think back to them in two months from now.

On another topic of racing, I came across this. I like the concept and have it in my thoughts instead of Solstice this year. Small event though, as much as I'm known to say that I don't like people(more in the work world) I do like riding with people and lots of them are better. Another thought is the Lumberjack 100 miler which is in the same time frame. I'll decide in the next month or so. I'm still poking at people to see if someone wants to do Tag at Solstice.

Back at it tonight, come on sun, I miss you!!!!

1 comment:

Chuck said...

The Tremblant race is capped at 50 people, and the info has been pretty sketchy so far.

Lumberjack? Our endurance series is really good, and growing every year. Great races...Lumberjack, Cohutta, etc.

Why not come down to Big Bear instead for Nats? You can bring us some of that good Canadian beer.