Thursday, June 24, 2010

Her date reminder was wrong.

It's hard not to talk about what happened yesterday, pretty wild stuff. My thoughts though are that Mother Nature may need to get a new appointment calender because her attempts to wreak havoc on the 2010 version of the 24 hour of Summer Solstice has failed!!! I'm dunking a little as I poke fun at her because if she finds out I did it, well I'd be concerned.

First the earthquake that I got a random text about it. Pretty minor in the greater part of the day. The weather held off when I got home and made my way to Hardwood Hills to do a short vomit session during the weekly series. Wasn't thinking much of the weather when I left and even during the race. Of course forward momentum felt a little harder than normal with the wall of humidity making the start climb a little harder. Blasted off the front for the first k before Elliot, a very fast Hardwood kid caught up with me. Put a big gap in to the pack pushing each other a bit. Neutralized things a little at a just slightly less than vomit pace. About a km or so out Elliot attacked and I just waved. I crossed the line 13 seconds behind him.

Not much after crossing the line the talk starts, Midland has just been hit by a tornado, Midland is on the far side of my big backyard but close enough to be concerned. Lot's of text and missed phone calls to deal with but until I got home I was a little stressed. Coming through Waubaushene damage near my place was pretty minimal but a few tree limbs down but the grunt of it missed the town. Unfortunately A few sections of Midland were not so lucky. I've heard that there were no serious injuries but there were a few homes destroyed and lots of damage. I'll be making my way over there today for work.

So was it Mother Nature attempting to take out the 24 hour again? I think this happened on the same date as the race last year. I'm not sure but it was yet again another reminder on how small and not powerful we are and how strong and destructive Mother Nature can be. Technology makes us powerful, Mother Nature just needs to get a little pissed off and shuts down all technology in one quick sweep.

Let's hope she is done for a few days now and gives us a wonderful weekend. I've begun the anti rain dance, I'm sure others have also.

1 comment:

Dana said...

I think we're all screwed. The trails have been draining well this year but pre-riding for OCup #2 in the rain was scary.