Friday, July 2, 2010

In the basement

That's where the heart rate seems to be. Made my way up to the north of called cottage country. Yes I know I live in cottage country but this is more cottage country than even my place. In this land of relaxation and serenity is a small place called Buckwallow. There is no serenity here, unless you love technical. There is no relaxation here unless you love big ass rocks and roots. Of course I like both, lots. With the next Ontario Cup coming up quickly and having a random day off during the middle of the week it made sense to get a little play time up there.

Buckwallow is not a place that you go if you are considering riding a flowing mix of trails that blend together flawlessly. Nope not at this place, what it does is give you a short section of certain death if you make a technical error followed by a break of double track. I was kinda in this mood to just play on the bike and that's just what it was. Mike didn't have the course marked so it was a bunch of random turns into what ever trails we came across. There were lots of doubling back and reriding of the same trail, just some fun. It had to stay that way for me as my heart rate would barely hit zone 1 and when I stopped even when it hit it's highest of 160 it dropped like it had an anchor on it.

Another fun thing about Buckwallow though is the lack of hills. In my weakened frail state the absence of hills was a good thing. A couple hours of being rattled around on car sized rocks before calling it. My current thoughts on the upcoming o-cup still lean towards taking the race of and continue my way along recovery road. The countdown to the Summer 8 hour is less than I would have liked, it is what it is and the coach and I will get it figured out with hopefully fast legs showing up race day.

Weekend is looking up, some time only on the road bike will be done. Need to stare at the two computers strapped on the handlebars for the next little while showing some major self control. I also need to work on those tan lines. To much time in the woods leads paleness. Can't have that.

No comments: