Sunday, September 2, 2007

My short ride today turned into a lot longer than planned. The club has started a sane paced ride and with my legs still feeling kinda crappy thought a couple hours would be a great recovery. I didn't know what route they had planned but let Brent know that he should come. The ride int was nothing much but then the group said they wanted to do the Big Chute loop. What I thought would be a 2 hour ride would eventually be a 4.5 hour ride. I wasn't complaining but I really wasn't prepared for that. It was a nice size group and surprisingly the pace wasn't all that bad.

We ended up stopping at the Big Chute for some food. This was a bit of a bonus because my stomach was pushing for food. French fries were great. The nice thing with this ride was the ability to actually chat with the other riders. Most of the time we are at a pace that you have a hard time breathing let alone talking. Gave me a chance to plan some strategy with Brent for next weekend. I'm still debating
on racing, my knees and legs are just not in a happy place right now and I'm thinking rest may be a better answer. I've also convinced a couple more club members to do the fall 8 hour race. I'll be giving Karl and Sherrie some prep tips over the next couple weeks. Brent is also going to race. Blue bikes is getting him setup on a hardtail carbon. Not bad way to start. Once the TT is done we will focus on his prep for this race.

Got a chance to talk with Dr. Bill Cameron also during the ride. Smart man and someone great to pick at his brain. I'm going to see him on Friday to look at my sciatic nerve and back problems. I can maintain the pain but hell if we can get rid of it all together I'll be a happy guy.

The 24 hour World Solo Championships are just finishing up as I'm typing this. We had some good Canadians in the field
including Tristan Smit. I've raced against him many times in the last couple years. He was in the top 10 overall the last time I checked the standings.
He is a carrot at our Ontario events. Matt Klymson was registered but looks like he didn't start. Monilee Atkinson is from Ottawa now in B.C.
She was in 4th which is just amazing. Great to see people we know up there in the standings.

Its funny that after watching the movie 24 SOLO and hearing alot of people talking about John Stamstead as one of the first to ride it solo we all need to thank a friend of mine for being the first lunatic to do it. Ed Hunt is a local from Midland and pushed and pushed 24 hours of adrenaline to let him race solo. Now I will say things have changed since his first time. Now there is no sleeping, hell you don't want to even get off the bike if you are capable. Ed is still here in town and owns a local gym, Hunt Fitness with his wife. Races cars as his latest addiction and was even on t.v. on Discovery Channels show Star Racer. A great guy and someone I'm going to recruit for the winter to help with weight training.

I will say that the off season is starting to look really good. It has really seemed to be a long season so far and I break will be nice. I'd considered Cyclocross but I'm missing the bike, I'm thinking that a very calm month of doing absolutely nothing. It will be a nice change. Rest day tomorrow

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Matt -

My first 24 hour race at Hardwood, where we met actually...i watched those solo guys and gals, and I was inspired - that would be my long term goal - to race a solo one day.

I am still going back and forth with doing another one next year...

Smile
Han