Sunday, September 23, 2007

Not the planned weekend but kinda what I needed. Prerode the Hardwood 8 hour yesterday. I wasn't feeling to hot because of a few extra brown pops the evening before. The reminder of why I don't drink heavy. The course will be a fun one. Its basically the old serious weekly series course.

No major long climbs only the climb out of the start line. The favorite of everyone with the wood chips and hay. The first half is pretty mellow with fast hard packed flowing single track. It then switches into sections of tight switchbacks. This is where the course will breakdown. There are not alot of long climbs but lots of short technical ones with lots of roots on them. Its going to be a course where lots of people will get stalled up cause everyone to run up the hill.

It finishes up back onto hard pack fast single track. Some rain will really help the course but I didn't see any in the forecast. I rode it with Brent who will be doing his first solo. He has come along way this year with his riding on the road and tri's now he wants to try the mtb side. We did a couple laps and found a good pace for him for the race. It will be tough for him to slow himself down for the first couple hours but I think he will do pretty good.

As for me, the list is up of most of the solo's registered. It won't be a walk in the park. Brian Cuthbert and Dave Stowe are in along with Scott Luscombe. Scott and I have been battling every race with me taking him at Mansfield. He beat me at the summer race finishing 3rd. Brian is in the over 40 now but usually a contender for the overall top place. I will probably hook up with Scott right from the start. I won't have cramping issues at this race. I heard through he grape vine that Tristen Smit won't be racing as he is still baked for the worlds. Understandable.

Times for this course should be in the low 30's for the solo guys and with the cut off for last lap being 5:30 it will probably top out at 14 laps. The middle section will definatly be the most important section to have a clear track.

The knees have finally stopped grinding and popping. A few days extra rest was what they needed. I'll be back on the bike this week to get things fired up.
The bike is back in at Georgian Cycle. Snapped a couple spokes on today's ride in Copeland and had to cut things short at an hour. Just enough to get the legs stretched out but really had the craving to be out longer. The rest was good for the mind set also.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt,
Just a quick note to let you know that at least one of your competitors is backing out of the 8hr this weekend. I had a hard time at Paul's and have switched my entry to a tag team. See ya out there,
Cheers, Dave Stowe