Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The bad? Well sorta

Thought I would get the crap part out of the season done first. I'll keep it to just the race season otherwise it will be a solid month of writing to talk about the year. So crappy things that happened.

Missed races, some for the right reasons, some just because. The just because ended up being Paris to Ancaster and the Uxbridge Icebreaker. I was disappointed but things were a little astray with timing and training that they just wouldn't work. Of course as really ling winter gives you the craving to race after riding the trainer.

The skipping of Buckwallow was just plain old Karma, when my seeing broken bone count and the trip to the venue balanced equal something was saying don't race. On the good side, Erin is back out riding. Bad side Jeremy is still on the mend with the broken knee cap.

Kelso, I just was tired of driving and opted to stay home and train. This of course dropped my points in the Ontario Cup. It happens.

Next off was the weather this year. It pulled crazy things and made for some interesting races. Summer Solstice was the hardest to deal with. That was mentally the hardest race I've done. I was still in race mood when things got confused and I was off the course with 4th hand information taking me from 2nd to 4th. This was also a learning curve, next season the pits will closer to the timing tent and we will only listen to information from timing or organizers. That's it.

The weather definitely wreak havoc on the trails and to the riders, Lots of changes done at many of the race courses this year because Mother Nature had this thought of screw you little cyclists. There were times when running was faster than riding. Of course the Mountainview OCup was a disaster to me. Home course, home advantage or so I thought. After a total down pour in the morning that tore into the first two races, the temperature went through the roof jumping 20 degrees in about an hour for our race. No heat training, physically demanding course my body shut down on me. I managed to finish the first lap but knew things were bad. By the end of the 2nd I called it. That course took out some of the best with, heat, mechanical and crashes.

My trip to Michigan was a bad and a good thing. The bad was the size, level of the event. It was a great experience and sometimes you need to step away from what you have to know how good you have it. New trails, new people. In hind site, which I'm always smarter with, I should have at least switch to the twelve hour. Instead I was north bound en route to a huge double burger with fries.

The summary of the 2009 race season, crap weather would equal crap races. We have random heat waves which pulled damage itself. Even training was interesting some days. I did manage to stay off the trainer and rollers all summer. Barely.

Summary of the bad races
Uxbridge Icebreaker Did not start
Paris to Ancaster Did not start
Summer Solstice, dazed and confused down to 4th
Buckwallow, no start to many broken bones
Kelso, Did not start
Michigan not really bad just different.

So that is the crap, that's out of the way, Fun stuff tomorrow.

No comments: