Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Distractions and the comeback

It's day 3, no riding, wow I sound like addict. Wait I am. So I sent my ass down in the basement to basically tear apart a good chunk of my bikes and do a few major changes in the setups.

First up was my cross bike. It's sweet but I know for a fact that I cannot functionally use a 50/34 in a cross race. The 50 is dead weight. So it's gone. Currently it's just the 34 but I'll be switching it out to a 38 or 39. That took care of the front next up the rear. I have a great 10 speed on the bike which kinda limits my rear setup with the cog sets I have. It is gone, pulled the 9 speed off the road bike and now have a 12/34 on the rear. Yes I know it's a nice big climbing gear. Hey, I'm weak!!! This is also a great winter bike setup.

SO that left the nice 10 speed setup which has now found it's home on the road bike. My highly used and abused Giant will be retired this year as my main road bike but I thought it would make sense that it would be compatible with the new bike setup. If I end up with a power tap I will want to be able to swap between the bikes. This is now two bikes 9/10th of the way done but not ride able. Bar tape is all that is left.

On to the next projects, my Blue XC Carbon has been a single speed for the last year. Kinda a waste of a sweet carbon bike so I'm going to put it back into race use for next season. There are a few Ontario Cup races where a hard tail is perfect, would be a waste not to use it. Anyone wanting to help donate to the cause??? Ebay CC will all be my sources. I want it built but I'm not spend huge money on it.

I do want to attempt to make it as light as possible though, 100mm fork is needed, brakes, seatpost. Attempts to keep it under 22 pounds will be made.

Last but not least, the renewal of an old friend. It's been hanging on the wall for a month or so with me staring at it wondering what to do. I've had this thought in my head for a while on a use but this weekends race was the kick I needed. After watching Andrew kill the field on his SS, a bike that he modifies the gear setup but the root bike is the same, I thought I need a single speed that suits me and my riding style. 29er ridged, not me, 26 inch full suspension, me!!!

So the build started and should be done in a day or so. It's a great frame for it as the NRS system locks out the rear suspension when you pedal. The new name is the Giant NRS-Onespeed. I'm so creative.

My basement is a disaster right now, but it did keep me away from riding one more day. The pouring rain tonight might help influence me today.


Side note, Andrew is still alive and doing well. Season off. I saw him on the weekend and he told me a few of his plans for next year. I think you will see him come back with a vengeance and a smile. Both make a dangerous combination in a race.

3 comments:

Sports Betting Picks said...

Great, I love it, here i would like to share The most lucrative Sports Betting Picks service available. Premier Sports betting system.

Jeff Moote said...

So single ring on the cross bike now? If you're going to keep the 12-34 out back run something bigger like a 42. I run a single 40t, but I have an 11 up front and I definitely need it on any races with paved start/finish straights.

The SS NRS should be cool too.

Anonymous said...

not sure i can better the sports betting comment but i agree with Jeff, you need a 42, at least, up front. with a 34 on the back you can easily run a 44 even.