Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Starting to get back in the grove

Not training but already getting that itch to be back on the bike. That or it was knowing that I would have to not sit on my ass all weekend and consume vast amount of good food over two dinners and a lunch.

This sent me out Sunday with the road bike, gasp!! in the cold among other conditions. It was basically everything including the first signs of snow while on the bike. The face has softened up since last winters rides. Headed north through Port Severn up some random cottage roads. If it was paved I followed.



That's when I saw this sign. I kinda had my own thoughts on what it should say.

It was a nice curvy road that is really really fun to go fast on.

Legs started to feel a bit better. This brought on Monday. Unfortunately I was missing out on the coffee to beer drinking to coffee ride with the crew. We had a family gathering at my place at noon while Mom's house was having a home inspection. Yep, it's almost 100 percent official, the house is sold and the new one is purchased. Lots of planning to be done.

I did get a chance to sneak out on the bike before the next dinner of the weekend. Having a bit of a time restriction i grabbed and Anthem and just headed out the front door and over to a road I sometimes use for hill repeats. Out of the corner of my eye just before the hill I caught the atv trail. Hey it's better than pavement, more than I thought it would. I saw lots of random splits of double track but then when I was forced to turn by a lake sized puddle I spotted a narrow trail.

15 minutes later I was back at the start with a huge smile on my face. Here in the middle of no where is a fun little single track loop. A mix of everything in it with rocks, off angle roots, tight turn sections and my favorite, pine trees. Oh and horse shit in my tires. There is always one downfall to every trail system right? It will make a great place to do short race pace loops with the amount of steady climbing in the first half of the trail. Oh and the fact it's 5 minutes from the house is even better. I need to ride this area a little more often. Like tonight!!!

So am I back on track, starting to be, two weeks off and I am starting to miss the bike. Am I ready to start with intensity yet, not sure about that one but I do know that after seeing snow this weekend I think I may want to get some more fun miles in now outside before I start having to spend long boring hours on the vomit machine. Pedalling really hard and not getting anywhere. The movie collection is ready though.

Time for work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So are you going to dabble this weekend with Hardwood's 50 km challenge?