Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The better half

Now that the crappy is put out, let the fun begin. Overall I think this was a great season overall. A couple burps here and there, but came out for the positive.

The Ontario Cup season, well I went and battled with guys 10-15 years younger than me and managed to stay in the top half of the field every race. I just missed the top 10 a couple times, but the big thing there was I had fun and I also got my training day in. I never took them serious but more as my intensity workout with a bunch of friends. I just missed the upgrade points to Elite. I did debate about racing in Senior Ex again but opted to play with people my own age.

On comes my favorite things, the long races. The return of the Marathon races to Ontario was a great change. One big loop, lots of singletrack, tough competition, perfect. I hit two of them and had an awesome time at both finishing 3rd and 5th. There have been conflicts over the first race in Copeland Forrest still going on involving the trails, head to MTBR if you want to hear the debate. I'm hoping that Dan will return with the series for 2010.

The 8/9 hours. Yep found my race, I've always liked this distance, I've had everyone say it to me and this season proved it. The tag with Dr. Bill at Mansfield had me ride the first 5 hours of the race. Amongst the tag teams I kept us in the top 10 with Bill bringing us back to 8th with fresh legs in the last 3 hours of the race. Now the catch, I was riding 2nd in the solo field. I didn't realize there was someone ahead of me or I would have picked up the pace. HMMM that was the start.

Then came Mountainview 9 hour and the Fall 8 hour. Just let'er rip and took the win in both races, The big thing with the 8 hour races, I was smiling, chatting and having fun right from the first lap in all 3 races. I was still riding almost full out. Almost and that was what I liked, that drop of 5% in effort got me in my endurance zone versus my o-cup pace and I went from eyes crossed to a very happy place. Yep, 8-12 hour length races are my focus now.

Then came the 24 hour races. Well we know about the solo's. They hurt, things went strange blah blah blah. Now the team race in August was a lot of fun with the finishing up of tackling of the competition on the course. The return of the Monday Night Something is in the talks now with new ground rules of the teams.

Alright that's the race run down. The season overall. This is the strongest I've ever been, the lightest I've ever been dropping 15 pounds and the healthiest I've ever felt. This season saw NO stomach issues which was a killer to me last year, I still miss ice cream, and also no knee problems thanks to Dr. Bill. I also learned a lot in my training, this year saw less time on the bike than in the past. It was smarter miles this year That would be thanks to my wonderful coach Heather. Of course I can't have a race season with out the help of Mom!! The greatest, bestest support crew/feeder/motivator around.

In 2008 I was faster than 2007, and so on and so on. Well this year was a huge jump for me, what will 2010 bring. I'll start the training for it in about a month.

No comments: