Sunday, October 11, 2009

Training? Almost!

Happy Thanksgiving!!! Mother Nature final gave a bit and the sun came out on a weekend. After being bugged heavily on Friday night about my lack of time on the bike this last week I knew that if I didn't plan a ride on a sunny day I'd never hear the end of it.

Of course the ride was planned but I had other things on my agenda for the day also. First off, firewood. Of course i asked nicely to all my friends Friday night who was willing to help. Even in a slightly drunken state nobody caved.

Woke up, made coffee, not many minutes later there was a knock on my door. It's my wood guy here with the first load. I thought I was an early riser, I went right at it. I moved and stacked a cord of wood all before breakfast, that's just how I roll. Tough guys haul wood for cross training!!! Ok maybe it was because the coffee hadn't kicked in as fast as my OCD side.

At first site I didn't think there was that much wood in a cord, that pile is bigger than you think and it's been a year since the last time I had to do this. I barely finished when buddy showed up with the next load. Alright, I need to play before getting into the grunt work again. I know I said that I was only going to ride a single speed in the trails for the rest of the season. Well I lied!!


Headed to the bigger section of my backyard about a 5 minute south on the 400. Perfect conditions!! I wasn't the only one out there with the same idea. The parking lot at Copeland forest was packed.

Headed out with the Molly Monster for a couple hours of play in the trails. Fall was showing up quickly here. Leaves are starting to cover up some of the trails, XCR dry's are still pretty good on leaves. Headed out towards the 5th then the back way into the berm downhill. This ride was done a little different than most. No Ipod, no music, no heart rate monitor. Just ride. It was a different feeling not having the chest strap on. Kinda reminds you to keep it simple sometimes.

Ran into an old friend on the trails from the adventure racing world. A few minutes of what's new etc and a quick conversation about the trails in Copeland. There has been an ongoing battle with one trail maker in this area who is still pissed about the marathon race that was run in here back in May. Jan has run into the same interesting problems with others complaining about a running race they ran around the same time. He has dealt with the land manager and thinks the events are great ideas and that the whiners will always whine about something.

Back on the bike, the Monster was actually setting a good pace on the climbs. My legs felt pretty good and I smiled the whole time I was out. Fall is a great time to ride, wait anytime is a great time to ride!! Finished up with a stop at the lake for the lunatic to cool down before spinning it out back to the car.


Of course there is no rest for the wicked, or for me at that matter so it was back to the wood pile. At least this time I was energizing with beer and loud music. One more major chores done and out of the way for the fall. My body is feeling the results of the day this morning. I pretty much did a month of core workout in one day. Today the weather is fighting on being agreeable. I'm hoping to get out on the road bike in a few hours from now before I shovel an excessive amount of food in my mouth tonight.

Eat, drink, ride, be merry!! Happy Thanksgiving everyone. More tomorrow, yes I think things will begin being exciting again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pansy. Real men chop their own wood. Rocky did it when he was training against Ivan Drago.