Monday, June 25, 2007

24 Hour Summer Solstice

It didn't go as planned. Got setup friday afternoon and preroad half the course. Nothing new just flipped around. Did the noraml prerace food etc.

Rick always does the first lap and came through our transition in an hour. I was just happy to get out on the bike. Unfortunatly there had been minimal rain in the last 3 weeks which made the course extremely dry and soft. It was a great course though with some fun flow sections. First lap was 52 minutes. The next couple laps were great but in my 3rd lap everything felt draggy. The back brake was rubbing through most of the course. Dropped my lap times down to 55 minutes.

We had the bonus of Dave showing up and he got to work on the bikes. Thanks Dave!!! Finished up my second night lap coming up to midnight. We were on track for 24 laps and at this point we were in 5th place. This is when it went crappy. My stomach went nuts and started throwing up. Things went downhill for me from there. The dizzy spells kicked in. Rick went to do a double lap to see if that would give me enough time to feel better. It didn't and we were both off the course for 7 hours.

Rick got back out at 8 and I was feeling better. In otherwords I was able to eat a bit. The body felt low and I was dehydrated. I had to stop at the water station and refill my bottle. We did manage to get four more laps in finishing with 18. C

Can you say I was disappointed. That is an understatement. How about pissed off. This stomach thing is now the new problem to deal with. I did get some great advice from Tobin. We road the last lap together and talked thorugh the whole thing about nutrition etc. He gave me a lot of great info and have a very very good idea of some of the causes to the gut rot. I have 2 8 hour races coming up next month to get this figured out before the 24 race in august.

I'll get some photos and lap stats up from teh race once they are online. Today will be spent unloading the car and an hour recovery ride.

1 comment:

the original big ring said...

Don't sweat it Matt. ANYTHING can happen in a 2-4, you know that . . . glad to see you get two morning laps in. You'll smoke the 8 hr races.
Cheers,
C.