Monday, June 25, 2007

Summer Solstice round 2

Ok so this is more to clear my mind. The results were up on the Chico's website along with lap times etc. So I will say that I'm a bit more pissed off now than earlier involving the stomach issues. I'm not going to say 3rd was ours on a silver platter but I could have seen us on the podium. 3rd through 5th were all at 22 laps. Rick and I were on pace for 24. Fuck!!!!!! Sorry.

Some said awww you went to hard. UMMM NOPE!!! To clear my mind I went back to my 8 hour and Uxbridge race. The Garmin is great for this stuff. Check heartrates, times, speed, elevations etc. I was well below max. I was actaully in my happy place. I'll definatly say that the first part of the course was a bit harder on me as I was cold but once I got my rythem I was fine. SO that was the answer to problem number one.

The cause part 2, food. Nope, now there were a few things in my diet that were questionable but nothing new that I havent eaten during this type of race. I will alter a few things like i always do.

So what is the mystry to my stomach. With lots of back tracking and some discussions with my support crew, Rick and Tobin (thanks again for that last lap!) The survey says GATORADE!!!! After a couple 8 hours I ran into the same probelm about 4-5 hours after the race ended. Major stomach cramps and vomiting. Now the fun thing is I've trained with it and never had problems. I've tried other drinks but found flat results with them so I always returned to it. Well all I can say is Buh Bye. I'm looking into some alternative fuels sources. As I posted earlier I have 2 months and 2 8 hour races before Hot August Nights.

Now Rick has also put the option to me about doing tag for Hot August instead of solo. I do have to admit that I would love to kill some demons and will consider it. I've also been thinking that if Craig and I ride together the whole race I think we could feed off each other and help each other. We are capable of riding the same pace. As I said I have a bit of time to figure crap out. Like my back problems 2 years ago this was a progressive thing that finally hit hard. Now is the time to fix it.

So on another note. Congrats Craig. I know you were stressed before the race and had some issues in the beginning. You did awesome and pushed through! Rick, you kicked ass at this race. I think thats the fastest I've ever seen you ride. I'm sorry we couldn't get you on the podium again. Tobin again thanks for all the advise. Of course I have to thank my Mom, Aunt and Sister for supporting Rick and I again. We couldn't do anything with out you three. Dave of GEORGIAN CYCLE. It was great having you there keeping the bikes inline.

Totally off topic, to get me in a happy mood I went and spent money. Hot tub now in the backyard. I wish I would have had it in on Friday so it would be perfect for today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should look into Infinit...it's customizable liquid nutrition, but on a big scale. http://www.infinitnutrition.ca/

More than just saying bye bye Gatorade, you need to figure out what it is exactly about Gatorade that disagrees with you. Is it the sodium, potassium or CHO content? Something else?

With Infinit, you design exactly what you need. The website is a good help, but give them a shout and talk to them about what problems you run into, and odds are they'll be able to figure out how to design a formula that will work specifically for you.

Many, many untra-endurance athletes have started using this stuff in the past few years for obvious reasons...it's designed for them specifically. You control amount of taste, calories, sodium, CHO, electrolyte, caffeine and amino acids.

Gatorade is not optimized for endurance racing - too many insulin spikes from the CHO calories. Gatorade Endurance is, but unfortunately it's not available in Canada yet. Try Infinit.

Matt Spak said...

Thanks for the info. I'm checking into them

Anonymous said...

You can design your own formula, or pick one of the hundreds of pre-formulated recipe's, and tweak them if need be. I see they've got MTB formula's specific for 2hr, 6hr and extended endurance, no sleep events (24's and adventure races.) I tried a sample of the stuff a few years ago, and it was great. I talked to the owner directly at an expo, and he was a good guy to deal with and very knowledgable about the science of exercise nutrition and physiology.

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt

I always say use a few different sport drinks, rotate them. And avoid the big meal of protein, to hard and long to digest. I love the Xilarate drinks. You can order the powder online... http://www.newfluid.ca/

Also, keep in mind that you need water and blood to digest. If you have to much sport drink in your tummy, it's very hard to digest, you need to dilute it with pure simple water, watch out for your sugar/water ratio. Also, your HR may be happy, but if you had a heavier meal between one of the laps, don't go so hard the next lap and drink water with that meal and on the course, slow down by 3 min or so and you'll be a rocket the very next lap again.

You say nothing new in the food side of things, but you get this problem most of the time on long races... so? Stick to complex carbs and very little protein. What ever you can put down... no meat. You don't need the meat for a 24 hour race. 5-6 days, that's a different story, you need more help with protein at that point (from meat or what ever), but we don't go as hard most of the time.

And for your HR, what do you consider your max? I would hope you stay far away from your max HR? You should not go over 78% of your max during the entire race, if you do, only a bit to summit the hill (5-10 sec). If you start feeling the lactic burn, you went to hard, once you start feeling it, it means it's been happening for a while now, you're to late. So if you do ever feel the lactic burn a bit, HR 80+%, your stomach is shut down, to late. You are now using a different energy system and it will take (depending on training, experience and body) hours to come back to the proper energy system. So what ever is in your belly will not get used much, because your body is now breaking your body down to convert energy for the high intensity. So what ever is in your belly eventualy will get rejected...PUK!

Look into energy systems, into when and what fuel your body burns at what HR. It's simple once you get that.

Sorry, to long...

Best of luck.
You are fast, I give you that!
Coming to get you maybe next Year! ;-)