Saturday, June 30, 2007

Not playing well with others

Ya that was my attitude this morning. The club was out for their ride at 8 and I had the "I don't wanna" attitude. Its been so busy the last couple weekends that I just wanted to take my time this morning. I also had a real craving to do particular route. It was nice to not rush to get ready and after a busy weekend last weekend I needed that. I took Molly for a 40 minute hike had breakfast and was on the bike just after 9. I've wanted to do the Midland to Barrie to Orillia back home loop for quite some time. It was perfect this morning. No wind low 20's, perfect day for a 5 plus hour ride.

I wasn't the only one with that idea. Coming down Scarlett line I passed a group of 10 or so riders heading north. Coming into Craighurst what do you know but I run into the Midland crew. They changed their planned route and were just in refueling. I threw the offer out there with my route for the day but know one wanted to do that distance. I honestly was glad, I didn't mind riding alone.

Barrie had the big waterfront festival happening this weekend so routed around to check it out for a few minutes. Ran into Preston from Sports Swap. They were busy with all the festival crowd. From there is was off to Orillia. Ridge Road is a ride that I've been on once. Its great pavement with a slight uphill all the way to Orillia. Even with the slight grade I was running in the high 30's the whole way. I ran into Don Gain from the Barrie Cycling Club. Super strong rider. Barrie puts on a team time trial a couple times a summer and he was just coming back from it. Its definatly something I would like to do this summer.

Just before running along the water was this section of road. Is that not awesome. A natural tunnel.

Now as time went on the wind picked up. Of course it couldnt be at my back. That would have be way to nice. Coming out of Orillia heading north I knew the last 60 km were going to be tough. There is a nice wide shoulder on hwy 12 but there are also rumble strips. The wind was so strong that I couldn't use the areo bars. Gust would either push me at the shoulder or the over correting put me on the rumble strips. From the time I left till Orillia I was running a mid 30's average speed. Now i was fighting to hit high 20's. What do you do when the wind gets rough? Hell I'm a mountian biker, there isn't wind in the bush. Actually i didn't mind it. I've given up being mad at a head wind. Conserve that energy for the legs.

The Giant Trinty A1 is an awesome areo bike but I will say the frame does have a lot of surface for a side wind. I finally got a very very short break from the head wind as I passed Waubaushene. Yep I even coasted for a bit. The last 60 km were all about Mr 39t. I don't like him, his big brother Mr 53t works better but not today. 5.25 hours on the bike at 160km. I had a couple breaks on the ride, refueling, a bit of socializinig but it was pretty steady pace. That is the longest ride on the Trinity to date and I think I'm going to change out the seat again. I still love the seat on my Giant road bike. Its cheap and soft but my bum like it among other body parts.

I still need to keep moving tonight. The Tri club is having a little party tonight. WOOO HOOOO A little theme party with all the canadian micro breweries. Hey anything with beer has my attention. I'll be armed with a camera to see what type of multisports these guys can do with a buzz!!!!!

No comments: