Saturday, June 2, 2007

Good Intentions

Went out feeling great and anxious for the ride. I thought the legs were fully recovered from the race. Far from it. I rode in like usual and things felt pretty at that point. About the biggest thing was the heat.

As mentioned it was a climbing day with the club. Wrong choice, maybe by myself but the boys wanted to push The first long grade was the 5th line, its not steep but its almost 4 km of steady grade. Then came Vasey line which is a 1km climb at an average of 8 percent with a peak of 15%. I was still ok at this point. About 30 minutes later was the next killer which basicly told me this route was to early after the race. 2km at 9% totally destroyed me. I'm usually at the fron tof the pack and I was spinning at the back. Everything just felt tired. This is where I split from the pack to return back home. I knew it would have been a bad idea to push on. When I'm climbing a hill with my head down that is a bad thing. I love climbing, especially on the road bike but today was a reminder that it takes time for the body to heal.

I still had an hour ride to get back home which I pushed along at 30km average but checking my heartrate after it was even low. The body said rest. Actaully thats what I did when I got in. I had a 2 hour nap which did help. I know I was drained when this happens.

Now one thing I have noticed a pattern with though involves my massage. I usually ride like crap the day after it. With that I have to be aware of when I schedule them.

Tomorrow is going to be the ride that I need. Going to play on the mountian bike in the morning in Tom's forest. Of course I'm bringing my number one training partner.


I feel like I'm making excuses for why I shortened up my ride. Blaming the massage, the heat, the pace, hell even the hills. I was tired, thats it. I still have to look at the long term, Especially for the next race. Tag team at Summer Solstice. I'm not just riding for myself but have responsibilties to a teammate. I know Rick will be ready for the event and that we will be one of the teams that will be watched during the event.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all those massages, the legs should be in better shape.

I wonder if I should go down there and see if I can teach you a few things on the bike.... (of course that's sarcasm).

Later,
Pierre P

Anonymous said...

QUOTE "About 30 minutes later was the next killer hill which basicly told me this route was to early after the race."

Oh you silly boy...picking the hilliest route you can find. Dude - you have to let your body recover if you're going to reap the positive gains from a tough training day like last Saturday. The time trial Tuesday probably set you back, and punishing it with that hell ride today will only delay the adaptations that would be made from the big last weekend.

QUOTE "I have noticed a pattern with my massage. I usually ride like crap the day after it."

You have to think of a sports massage as a tough workout, one which breaks down your muscles. That's essentially what a deep tissue massage is - a damaging workout - and it's also why you schedule a massage after your hardest effort of your trainng week, and before your recovery days. Our elite athletes never have a sports massage inside three days from a race (or from their heavy training day in off-season) - it's just not allowed, because it prolongs recovery. Remember - though it might feel good, from physiologic standpoint the deep tissue sport massage is big time damage nt only to your muscles, but also over-stimulation of your central nervous system...much like a hard workout.

In your case, knowing that you take Fridays as rest days before the tough weekend, I would think it would be wise to schedule them on Wed morning, the day after your Time Trial, and leading into your off period. Even if you race MTB Wed, a short race like that is mostly an aerobic effort anyway, so you probably wouldn't be affected much.

There...don't think that people don't read your blog. If you want more words of wisdom, I charge $70/hour.

Josh Mace
B.Sc, H.B.Kin, CK

Anonymous said...

p.s. for you, 'cause I know you, only $65/hour.

the original big ring said...

Matt, my ride yesterday sucked too. I felt horrible all ride and ended cutting it short. Humidity got to me, but I think more so is that I am not fully recovered from the 8 hr.