Saturday, June 9, 2007

What a day!!!!

So the club went on a road trip today. I will say that I'm kinda sick of all the roads locally. You can only make so many different loops. About my only complaint was waking up at 6 to walk out the door at 7 am to pickup Brent. I'm a morning person but when the weekend comes I like to take my time for atleast an extra hour in the morning. Met up with the rest of the club to do the hour drive to Pretty River Trail parking lot just south of Collingwood. It was going to be a good day, we had some of the local riders join up with us. This put our pack at around 20

Nothing like starting out witha climb. Not just a little climb mind you, how about 9km at an average of 7%. This of course split up the pack so we regrouped at the top.

From there it was flat to slighlty down hill for the next 25 km. Talk about amazing roads, smooth and fast. About the only problem was the roadkill. There was alot of it along witha very alive snapping turtle who didn't seem to impressed with us as we riped by him. They have this road split going right between 2 lakes and the view was awesome.



Louise our World Champion Ironman Triatlete and Kevin enjoying the view

From there came the first big descent. Hey what goes up gets to go down. FAST, like 67 km/h for almost 3km. Ya well what goes down has to go back up. This picture does not do justice to this hill. Its 6 km long at just under 5%


Then there was the otherside. Hit 76 km/h on this coasting section.

After a quick food and fluid stop it was off to Senic Caves Road which was going to be the climb for points. At the top of the hill everyone dropped waterbottle, tools, hell if they could take off parts of their bikes to make this climb easier. Its only 2.1km long but it continues to get steeper the whole time. Ok 39-25 umm not happening for me today. All the time training for mountain biking i've made myself stay seated on almost every climb. this one I couldn't and didn't have the extra power to stand. Average grad is 12%, of course Aaron our freak of nature was first to the top. I think he has 3 lungs. yes that is an old KHS and he is almost untouchable when it comes to climbing.

Aaron on his retro bike still kicking our asses. I'd be afraid of him on a carbon bike

Eric continues to shock us. This kid can climb!!!

Tim preping for a 332 km ride in two weeks. this was definatly a great prep ride

Kevin loving that 29 tooth cog. I want one!!!!

With my training this year I've found that I don't have mass power in the climbs but I recover very very quickly and great endurance. A few started to fade after this point. Brent has seen better days. He did great on the Caves climb but that pretty much sucked the rest of his energy out of him. Hell he is only 15 and is pushing along with the big boys.

The rest of the ride was great and we finished with a long downhill along Grey road 19. Yep we were sprinting downhill at 80 km/h. I love coasting. Thanks to Tim for coming up with the idea and the route. Total time was 4:15 and 120.2 km. We had to back the last 30 km down a bit becuse of a few people feeling a bit rough. When is the next road trip????????


1700 metre of climbing which was awesome. Matt likes to climb!!!!

No comments: