Sunday, June 17, 2007

one hell of a weekend.

I'll have to split this up into a couple sections just because of how much happened. Friday night was the typical calm night. Relaxed in the the back yard watching a nice calm movie. Well sorta, the 90's classic Natural Born Killers. Was up early as planned for a couple hours in the trails.

Unfortuatly the heat shortened up the ride since I had Molly with me and there were NO puddles for her to lay in to cool down. Either way it was a 2 hour ride and explored a new section of Tom's. I've been riding there for couple years and there always seems to be something new everytime I go. This is what I found this time.

Would love to play on this stuff but being clipped in while on e the teater totter wouldn't be a smart idea. It was a great ride.
There was an orientering race happening at the same time as my ride. It made it interesting when I would come riding around a corner and find people running in the trails. Its a great place for that type of event.

So this is where the day changed. I'd planned on driving over to Georgian Cycle to drop of the race ride for its prerace tuneup then jumping on the road bike for a couple hours. Come back north on one fo the back concession I had to smash on the brakes. I'd show up less than a minute after a major accident. An older guy pulled out in front of a fullsize Dodge pickup truck. I stayed for over 2 hours with the drivers of the pickup. They were ok she very shaken up. Unfortuntaly the old guy in the car didn't make it. From what I heard he was a local so he knew the roads very well. Why he pulled out so slowly on such a major route. I feel really bad for the other couple.

From there I did eventually make it over to Dave's shop. After retelling the events of the day to Dave I finally did make it home. On a good note My new fork, headset and stem are in for the road bike. Very sweet and crazy light.

Went into the gear room to find another surprise. My murdering cat killed a chipmunk and brought it into the gear room as a present for me. Hmmm a little scary to see this. It was a bit tough getting the mind back in training mood but pulled out the road bike and headed out of town. I took the Tay trail to the 5th line and headed south toward Vasey line. The road bike clears my mind, well actaully the hills do, can't think aoub tmuch more than breathing and turning the pedals. a left on to Hwy 12 and I was heading back home. This is where some good happened.

I see 4 people and 2 cars on the side of the road blocking traffic. Here is a big snapping turtle trying to cross the road. City people are funny as they were very afraid to get close to it. I helped to persuade the beast across the road. Both lanes of traffic came to a stop and everyone was very patient. An ambulance that was on its way i'm assuming back to its station fired up its lights to get driver to slow. It was a good feeling after the morning.

Got back in with just over 2 hours on the clock. Some great climbs and a cleared head. I totaled just over 4.5 hours of riding and an hour of stretching. So did I learn anything today. Things can happen to fast sometimes for you to control(the car accident) and sometimes slow and steady is the best way to get across the road(the turtle). Turtles do live for a 100 years.

Well that was my Saturday

1 comment:

the original big ring said...

I would have rode that teter totter!