Friday, March 26, 2010

Momentum failure

Auntie Em, Auntie Em, it's a twister!!!!! That or an invisible wall, either way it was, umm far from fun. Headed out for my ride after work, nothing exciting about that but I had an idea of what it was going to be like out before actually getting out. My work truck happens to be a Honda Element, yes that ugly like boxy thing. It's also one of the best judges of wind on the road. Heading towards home I know it was going to be a tough ride.

I don't think I was on my bike for more than 5 minutes when I got hit by my first blast as I crossed over the bridge and almost got blown into Georgian Bay. I'm not over exaggerating. Now the problem with the wind last night was a simple one, it was never head on and it was never steady.

A steady breeze is easy to keep a consistent effort into or to keep the bike at a steady lean. This kept changing from a good stiff breeze to where I was fighting to stay up right. As for forward momentum. Trying to actually keep moving was the challenge. Then there was the erratic directions the wind seemed to come from. My route didn't help as I headed up to Honey Harbour. This meant some big rock sections that had things banking and deflecting in every attempt to check my reaction time and agility. There is something to be said about being heavy. Harder to move, my lighter than ever body weight of 152 pounds along with a lighter than I've ever ridden road bike of just over 16 pounds add up to nothing for the wind to throw around. Frail little cyclist, HA, HA, HA!!!!!

I think I will continue to complain, well not complain but put out how much of a challenge the ride was yesterday. The temperature continued to drop quickly during the ride, how quick you may ask. Quick enough that I was concerned that I over dressed when I left to I wish I'd packed more clothing. That is the problem of leaving for your ride at just after 4pm. I know it's going to happen, I can't change it, suck it up and deal with it!!! The actual workout was the easy part though, a bunch of long zone 3 efforts. Playing with the powertap now and trying to get a gauge on effort, hr, and wattage.

As I spun closer to home I made a choice, I think it was a good choice. I could look for 20 minutes more of pavement or!!!! I could finish up on the trainer where it's warm and not windy. Of course I did that, the funny thing was I was right on the so chilly it hurt point that when I got on the trainer I didn't even take off my booties, full length tights or long sleeve insulated jersey. Why, because it was warm!!! Just over two hours of pedal time tonight.

The body has been feeling pretty good, a little bit of IT band issues but nothing that the foam roller and some self abuse can't cure. Some rest will be needed, it's looking like Saturday could become an epic day and I'm not the only one that is taking today off the bike in preparation for it. Yes pictures will be taken, promise!!

No comments: