Monday, March 1, 2010

Release the hounds!!!!!

And try and keep up. Headed out to Heather and Jason's place which is in the heart of Horseshoe Valley. This equals lots of hills and amazing amount of snow . We strapped the big shoes on and headed off for an adventure. 3 people, 4 dogs. It took me all of 2 minutes to realize that I should have brought the extensions for my MSR's. The snow was 2-3 feet deep and of course I'd had that thought of let's go this way so I broke trail.

It didn't take to long for the dogs to clue in they all began playing follow the leader and who can step on the back of Matt's snowshoes and get him to fall first. Luckily the face plant never happened. The energy you needed to plow through the snow and then add a 50 pound dog standing on the tails counteracting that motion leads to a disaster.

There were lots of lefts and rights mixed in with lots of ups and downs, no real focus on direction. Unlike the Monday Night Something where we have only an hour so the curve of time that you are allowed to be lost in minimal yesterday we had between 3-4 hours.

I have found the latest add on for snowshoeing for the person that has everything,

Fenders, my back stay dry and of course it just looks cool and fast.


As the miles added on the energy levels dropped. The snow was so deep that it was an amazing feeling for the legs for this little break on the snowmobile trail. Almost the same affect as spinning out the legs after doing hill repeats. Of course it didn't last long and it was back into the bush on the return towards to the house. We did spend a little time on our outgoing tracks before attempting to get lost again.

3 hours later we stepped into the driveway. 3 tired people, 4 exhausted dogs. I'd considered doing an easy spin afterwards but my legs were feeling it so opted for a pizza and the Gold medal game. I think that's the first time in a long time that I sat on the couch in the middle of a Sunday for that long.

It's Monday, that means a shortened repeat, I'll be following in some tracks tonight. Will post up some other race schedule updates tomorrow. Time for work

No comments: